What I am in love with right now

  • Movie - "Numb" starring Matthew Perry. It's about that feeling we all have. We aren't connected to ourselves so how can we connect to others?
  • Song - "Love Again" by Dirt Poor Robins
  • TV Show - "Black Books" - This show is written quite brilliantly. High Fidelity in a book shop.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Would You Rather ...

I suffer from an addictive personality. I have severe problems saying no to things, or more things, like sweets. And I tend to eat really fast, so that just compounds the problem. I am like a dog, if you leave a big of dog food out they will eat until they explode.

This thought was on my mind as I was going out to pick up the ingredients for a dessert I was making for my coworker's birthday. Because of my inability to stop eating sweet or great tasting food, I sometimes have to deny myself even one taste of them.

This got me thinking about enjoyment and creation. I like to make these desserts, but I can't sit down like everyone else and have a big helping of it. As I thought more on this, a question rose in my mind: What would I choose, to be able to create but not enjoy, or enjoy but not create?

Would I rather be able to cook wonderful meals but never be able to eat them? Or would I rather eat a 5 star meal and taste how wonderful it is, and how it can change my perspective, but know that I am incapable of making something so wonderful?

Luckily, I don't think life is black and white like this, but if you had to choose, Create but not Enjoy, or Enjoy but not Create, which way would you go?

2 comments:

Mack L Fuel said...

CREATE! BITCH!

SPE said...

@Justin - This question is blowing my mind for two reasons 1) I had an incredible dinner the other night in Old Towne where I left the restaurant with a goofy smile on my face, 2) and I'm getting ready to cook a slightly complex meal for my family on Christmas. I really enjoy both. The immediate question that came to mind was; if I'm going to create, I'll need to sample my creation as I cook, right? Regardless of the answer, I'm going with Create Not Enjoy.